American Cocktail Author: Howard M. Miller | Language: English | ISBN:
B00I2WNYO2 | Format: PDF
American Cocktail Description
This is the rollicking, never-before-published memoir of a fascinating African American woman with an uncanny knack for being in the right place in the most interesting times. Actress, dancer, model, literary critic, psychologist, and free-spirited provocateur, Anita Reynolds was, as her Parisian friends nicknamed her, an American Cocktail.
- File Size: 1283 KB
- Print Length: 352 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0674073053
- Publisher: Harvard University Press (February 24, 2014)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00I2WNYO2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #104,256 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
I'd never heard of Anita Reynolds until I read a recent article about her memoir being published. It's so refreshing to read a TRUE story of a young woman of color who is enjoying life (even in the 1920's!)
Sidebar: I recently watched yet another Oscar-winning "slave movie" adapted from a memoir. It was brutal and draining and basically ruined my entire day. While some of those stories are educational and shed light on relevant issues, I'm beyond exhausted by the narrative of the black woman that keeps replaying itself in popular culture. We are well aware of the injustices we face and we fight silent battles daily, but by no means are we defined by oppression. Anita was not defined by the glaring racial inequalities of her time. She was a young girl having a full experience!
I'd love to see this adapted into a film or play. Anita Reynolds, I relate to you on so many levels. Thank you for sharing your experiences so candidly, and for being socially conscious without being a victim. I'm halfway through the book now and I don't want it to end.
By Brittain Rain
Started reading this and couldn't put it down. A well paced, apolitical insight into the lives of some of the cultural avant garde of the '20's and '30s. Anita Reynolds' commentary on her experiences of the period is not deep but is interesting, personal and engaging. Hutchinson's notes add just the right amount of color to support and/or correct Reynolds' insights. Overall a very interesting book.
By JMH
American Cocktail Preview
Link
Please Wait...