The Mystery Woman Author: Amanda Quick | Language: English | ISBN:
B00AFPVQK8 | Format: PDF
The Mystery Woman Description
Under the plain gray skirts of Miss Beatrice Lockwood’s gown, a pistol waits at the ready. For Beatrice is a paid companion on a secret mission—and with a secret past—and she must be prepared to fight for her life at any moment.
Yet she is thrown oddly off guard by the fierce-looking man who joins her in foiling a crime outside a fancy ball—and then disappears into the shadows, leaving only his card. His name is Joshua Gage, and he claims to know Beatrice’s employers. Beyond that, he is an enigma with a hypnotically calm voice and an ebony-and-steel cane. . . .
Joshua, who carries out clandestine investigations for the Crown, is equally intrigued. He has a personal interest in Miss Lockwood, a suspected thief and murderer, not to mention a fraudster who claims to have psychical powers. The quest to discover her whereabouts has pulled him away from his mournful impulses to hurl himself into the sea—and engaged his curiosity about the real Beatrice Lockwood, whose spirit, he suspects, is not as delicate as her face and figure.
He does know one thing, though: This flame-haired beauty was present the night Roland Fleming died at the Academy of the Occult. Guilty or not, she is his guide to a trail of blood and blackmail, mesmerism and madness—a path that will lead both of them into the clutches of a killer who calls himself the Bone Man. . . .
- File Size: 662 KB
- Print Length: 385 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0749956674
- Publisher: Putnam Adult (April 23, 2013)
- Sold by: Penguin Group (USA) LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00AFPVQK8
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #9,360 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #25
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense > Paranormal - #76
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Science Fiction
- #25
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense > Paranormal - #76
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Science Fiction
You can't go wrong reading any of the books by this writer. Her stories are interesting, the pacing smooth, and the characters well drawn. What I loved about the Amanda Quick books is that her characters are different than the usual Regency earls and viscounts. For the last few years, AQ books mostly involved the paranormal, which is fine. The problem here is I didn't really care about Joshua and Beatrice. At the end of the book, I know just a little about them. For example, Josh is supposed to be horribly scarred in the face, but other than mentioning it as a detail, we have no idea how he feels about it or how his lover feels about it. Since nothing was done with it, why make him scarred? There is enough detail about his leg to get the point across about him being damaged goods.
By Lisa Davidson
I believe that Ms. Krentz has spread herself a bit thin trying to keep up with three different personas of writers all of whom are herself. The use of the trilogy has given her the ability to streamline some of the writing by trailing the stories across all three timelines. Now she seems to be staying in the same time zone and using friends & family members to create the trilogies, but doing a different trio in each time zone seems to be a bit draining. There's nothing wrong with a formula as long as there's enough original material to keep the zing in the story.
I really enjoyed the "Crystal Gardens" which was the first book in this series. It had a refreshingly interesting twist to the paranormal side of the story. In this tale, we have a lot of conversation, all on the same topic - hero "I don't have a paranormal talent and I don't believe in the paranormal - heroine "I have a genuine paranormal talent and so do you". Yawn. There were too many clues to the "surprise" twist at the end - I saw it coming a mile away. I do have to say that I appreciate the fact the Ms. Krentz doesn't use embarrassing incidents as humor in her books. This type of thing makes me cringe! Unfortunately I couldn't find much humor in this book. It seemed flat compared to many of the titles that I have enjoyed by her in the past. I think my favorite is "Hidden Talents". There is a single instance of paranormal activity in the book, but there are also numerous scenes that are very funny, point out human foilables, and strike just the right note of zany.
Writing is a very difficult thing to do, and Ms. Krentz does it beautifully. Even though every book can't be a stellar performance, I still enjoy reading Ms. Krentz's efforts and I look forward to reading the last installment of this trilogy.
By M. H. Blackwell
The Mystery Woman Preview
Link
Please Wait...