Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two: For the Small Slow Cooker Author: Beth Hensperger | Language: English | ISBN:
B002BCFRKI | Format: EPUB
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two: For the Small Slow Cooker Description
Today, 58 percent of American households consist of only one or two people, yet most cookbooks still contain recipes designed to serve 6-8. In this follow-up to the bestselling Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, Beth Hensperger offers 125 new recipes specifically designed for the increasingly popular 1 1/2 to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. This is the perfect book for busy singles and small families who want the convenience of a small slow-cooker-made meal without sacrificing wholesomeness and flavor.
- File Size: 809 KB
- Print Length: 256 pages
- Publisher: Harvard Common Press (December 15, 2006)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B002BCFRKI
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #130,854 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
I was enthusiastic about trying some of the recipes in this book as I was single at the time I purchased it to complement my 3 and 1/2 quart slow cooker and was looking for a convenient way to cook for one or two people that would not compromise the quality of home cooked meals. My enthusiasm quickly turned to dismay. First, most of these recipes are A LOT of work. And I am a self-confessed foodie who has spent many happy hours in the kitchen, so I can only imagine how annoying and overwhelming these recipes would be for a novice. Most of these recipes require meat to be browned and vegetables sauted in advance. In other words, you have to cook it before you cook it. C'mon if you wanted to do all that, you wouldn't be using a slow cooker! Honestly, most of these recipes would be faster and easier prepared the traditional way, in the oven or on the stove, so that really negates the convenience factor. The worst thing about these recipes is that after all that work, most of the recipes I tried were just average and one or two of them downright sucked. The extra work would be worth it if the recipes turned out great, but, I'm sorry to say, most of these recipes are a lot more trouble than they are worth.
I used the brand of slow cooker the author recommended and followed the recipe and it still didn't turn out right. There is a recipe for macaroni and cheese which recommends adding evaporated milk at the start, and the milk curdled during cooking. So I ended up with macaroni and cheese scrambled eggs. Yuck! The recommendations for cooking oatmeal overnight in your slow cooker were totally off. I mean, there is a guide in there for converting stove top recipes to slow cooker recipes and according to that the oatmeal should have been done after three hours, which it was.
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two: For the Small Slow Cooker Preview
Link
Please Wait...